Maintain a Healthy Smile with Regular Dental Exams and Cleanings
By Randal Watson, DDS on October 13, 2016
Plaque and tartar buildup can lead to gum disease, tooth decay, and tooth loss. Attending regular dental exams and cleanings is an effective way to prevent plaque and tartar buildup and protect oral health. Dr. Randal Watson offers a variety of general dentistry treatments to keep the smile healthy and beautiful. To schedule dental exams and cleanings for you and your family, contact our Austin, TX offices today.
What to Expect during a Dental Exam and Cleaning
Dental exams and cleanings are generally performed during the same appointment and should be scheduled at least once every six months. During a dental exam, the teeth are checked for any signs of damage, such as decay or fractures, and the gums are checked for signs of gum disease. The mouth may also be screened for oral cancer or checked for other abnormalities. During a dental cleaning, plaque and tartar are gently scraped off the teeth, and the teeth are flossed and polished.
The Importance of Dental Exams and Cleanings
Although daily brushing and flossing are essential to preventing dental damage and gum disease, without undergoing regular dental exams and cleanings, damage can go undetected for years. Here are just a few reasons why dental exams and cleanings are so important to oral health:
- Reduces plaque and tartar buildup: Even the most diligent brushing and flossing can allow plaque and tartar to build up along the gum line. Professional cleanings are essential because they allow dentists to remove plaque and tartar from hard to reach areas of the teeth, reducing the risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
- Catches oral health problems early: During a dental exam, the teeth and gums are assessed for any signs of damage or oral health problems. Dental exams can help catch issues at the earliest signs of a problem, before damage becomes severe.
- Reduces the risk of gum disease: Plaque and tartar build-up along the gum line greatly increases the risk of gum disease, a bacterial infection of the gums. Dental cleanings keep the teeth free of plaque and tartar, reducing the risk of gum disease.
- Prevents tooth decay: Dental cleanings, combined with good oral hygiene habits, can help prevent tooth decay and keep the smile healthy for years to come.
- Prevents the need for costly dental treatments: Regular dental exams and cleanings can help prevent the need for costly dental treatments and restorations by catching dental damage early, when it's most easily treatable, as well as by preventing damage to begin with.
- Helps patients maintain a healthy smile for a lifetime: Preventing damage and treating damage early can help patients maintain a healthy smile for life. Attending dental exams and cleanings, and practicing good oral hygiene habits, including brushing twice a day and flossing at least once a day, are all essential to a lifetime of good oral health.
Schedule Your Next Dental Exam and Cleaning
Dental exams and cleanings are an important part of maintaining oral health. To schedule your next dental exam and cleaning, we invite you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Watson.
Related to This
Reach out today to set up an appointment with Dr. Randal Watson and his experienced team.
“We strive to make every experience a positive one.” Randal Watson, DDS, PA